11.24.2005

11.24 News

Happy Thanksgiving.

Secret Machines working on 'Ten Silver Drops', the follow-up to 2004's 'Now Here Is Nowhere'

Elvis Costello plans symphony tour and live cd

Britney Spears to replace Kelly Bundy in the lead role of a Broadway musical. Yes i'm serious.

ReBirth of Cool

-----
I've gotten a handful of e-mails asking what I'm most thankful for this Thanksgiving, and while most people spit out the usual answers--family, friends, health, Xbox 360--I decided I was going put some actual thought into answering your questions. After a couple days' reflection on myself and the current state of the world, I think this year I'm most thankful for *N Sync's cover of Kriss Kross' Christopher Cross' "Sailing."
The fact that it's a 1998 cover of a 1981 song just proves how timeless and relevant this masterpiece is. While popular opinion suggests Cross used "sailing" as a metaphor for suicide, I like to believe he really was searching for paradise, tranquility and serenity--but it wasn't until *N Sync covered the song did I feel this way.
"Sailing" being performed by five young men showed me how music can bring people of different backgrounds and cultures together. If that song can make two Aryans, a greasy Dago, a dreadlocked Jamaican and that guy who looks like Screech from Saved By The Bell put their differences behind them and join together--imagine what it could do for world peace.
This Thanksgiving weekend, when your family is gathered around the table discussing what to be thankful for, play *N Sync's "Sailing" and tell them you're thankful for the power of music. If everyone who reads this message passes it on to one or two other people, who do the same--global conflict and suffering will be a thing of the past.
"Just a dream and the wind to carry me
And soon I will be free..."



:::wDMO.net:::

No comments: